Random Post

“Do you realize how important it is to be independent? To be able to take care of yourself? To not rely on someone else for your most basic needs? And to not get so damn attached to stuff that you’d rather demean yourself than live without it?”
— Alyson Noel

I like this quote. I think, without any gender discrimination each individual should try to stand for themselves and be independent. Be someone who they themselves can rely on without relying on anyone. Which does not mean I am against taking or giving help, but get the point? 

So, I have a batch mate in University (have - since I am still in univ. God! Years do not fly! :/) and this incident is from my second year. Before quoting the incident I like to mention that I am a very care free lady. In initial years of my university, it dawned on me how material matters more than souls to people. They'll look at the brand you are holding instead of your heart. So any who...
New semester means new wardrobe and new everything like wearing something you own a month ago is a sin. I actually had many hand bags but I do not know why I always clung to this green one. Wait, I think it was because it was easier to carry, had more space and was my favorite because Ammi gave it to me and because I did not like huge gigantic aunty like bags that were in fashion and I loved college bags and in all the ones ammi got me this was the one I liked the most too because it wasn't that huge and reasonably styled. So I failed to notice the new semester rules and used it until it got worn out. In third semester I took a new one my Aunt sent from abroad. It was glossy black, that was eye catching and not in aunty like style. I carried it the first day and my batch mate must have noticed it since after two days she came to me while her group fellows were talking to me and she said, "hey. Nice bag."
I smiled and thanked her. She said, "Finally you earned enough to get yourself a new one!"
I was struck. However I replied with silence and continued to talk to the girls. When I came home I cried too 'cause okay anything big or small sticks in my head and for good. I feel too much. (Okay... I am a lot childish. I did not know this side of the world then as I mentioned. Whatever.)
She taunted me because she knew I earn along with studies. I tutor. 
I tutor because since childhood I liked the western concept of learning the value of money and earning from 18, it is more practical. I myself refused to take pocket money and earn myself. 
My parents did not like it. But they never object when I am doing nothing against their rules and provided it is under their prescribed limits, their terms and conditions :P 
So, I shouldn't have cried ever for anything people said about me and my life especially this. She thought I was poor because I carried the same bag for two semesters hahaha but she was wrong. She didn't realize that I was stronger and far better than her. She spent her time in movies and magazines, I spent time earning and saving and studying and teaching and maintaining my grades. (CGPA 3.3 is not that bad is it?) 
so now two years later, she is still on the same track of life and I am here, the famous most and in demand tutor (not literally exaggerating!) and planning to leave tutoring each day :P but going on with it :P hahaha
So, being independent is good. I think for females especially. When a girl marries she must not cut the life line of her career completely. She must pursue her life too. I have seen some girls who got married in between their studies and had disastrous consequences and are facing the struggle big time. And I have seen girls who got married and their husbands supported them to continue education and now are in fifth year with me :) 
My friend delivered her first child and four days later gave finals of eighth semester!
This is inspiring really. 
Their husband support them to go on with their own lives as well and do not make them a full time maid and I like it. 
So... 
This quote is an inspirational piece for me. There wasn't anything particular to blog about, so random again. 

Comments

  1. That friend does not have good manners. I have this ability to "give them back" on the spot. I, if I were you, would have replied: At least, I have a respectable job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is not a friend, just a batch mate.
      I used to be quiet back then and take it all in. But not now, I answer to shut them once and for all if necessary. I thought that I do not need to argue with someone as ignorant as her, what will be the difference in me and her?
      So... Khair old story. Met so many people in University like that I was usually shocked in initial three semesters and my mother used to say; "University men admission dila k ghalti ki tum chup hogae ho." hahaha Confrontation with the real face of the world is not enchanting, never as expected.
      People are weird.
      And I bored you again with my stories :P
      Thank you for commenting.
      :)

      Delete
    2. Your posts and comments are not boring. They are a pleasure to read.

      Delete
  2. Poor is a state of mind, Ph. And the girl can go take a hike, you should have told her to. Proud of you for wanting to be independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first line is what my mother said.
      She insulted me for my decision of being self made and independent and I was a fool to cry on that.

      Delete
  3. I want to pass along an important information to you. But I do not know your email address. Can you write an email to me? You can get my email address from my blog (View my complete profile). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts