Bla Bla Bla

No matter how traditional they look, I simply love bangles. In all colors. That is why  the other day I was wearing a beautiful set of blue bangles in my hands when my Aunt said to take them off immediately and to never wear blue or black ones again. I am a curious being and Asian parents/elders take this curiosity as misbehaving. Still I asked her why is that so? She told me that it is believed that blue and black bangles are bad omen for the brother/father/husband of the woman wearing it. I laughed at it. Though with a heavy  heart I put them off.
I asked my friend if any religious prohibitions exists on this matter, he said no. I asked my mother if I can wear them she gave the doom stare hahaha well what can I say?

We are full of myths like this one if we look around. Black cat crossing your way is bad, number 13 is bad, spilled milk is bad, broken glass is bad. These things never make sense to me. This is when fear of losing or having anything bad coming your way take to the next level that we start satisfying ourselves with such myth. But whatever is bound to happen, does happen.

Who can explain that to elders? So, I had a huge debate with my grand mother on the topic that leaping over a child may cause his height to remain shorten. Hello? Genes? Nutrition? Science? Anything wrings a bell?

Well, I was scolded in the end and reminded of the drawbacks of being too out spoken :P

P.S this is just a lame post excluding my bangles, they are not lame :P
I wanted to make a post so I just did.

Comments

  1. Myths and superstitions are common, not only in your part of the world, but in every country in this world. Some are very strange to believe.

    In Tamil Nadu, India, in certain communities they will not talk about future (Example: what they are going to do tomorrow) on a Thursday night after sun down. They think it will never happen.

    In USA, black cats crossing your path – bad luck.

    In Russia, do not comment a baby is “cute” – this could cause a baby to become ugly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( The baby one is outrageous.
      I used to have debates about these myths but I reconciled to leaving the habit because I cannot change a sixty year old mind set.

      Delete
  2. Love the bangles in the middle set right corner.

    Superstition of not, black bangles will always be my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts