The Useless Chase

"We run after things, we chase them. Madly.", he said. The smoke out of his cigar filled the room, made it a bit hazy. The audience listened as he spoke. 


"But the thing is boy, you run after things and they run farther away from you. I was desperate to have fame since teenage. I ran after it, I couldn't think of anything but being the star. I however did not get that one chance an artist need to be lifted from earth to sky. My frustration grew, I became alcoholic and vain. I lost sanity. Because my vision was obstruct by this gigantic picture of having fame that I saw nothing other than that, I did not even see how this craze made me lag behind, it made me go from bad to worst. Until one day I grew tired of trying. I stopped trying. Literally. 
I quit the silver screen and went to my friend who owned the big mart, to work. I needed to pay my rents after all. 
My friend saw me, and asked me to see in the mirror. I saw my reflection. For the first in many years I felt pity on myself. I was disgusted by the image I saw. He asked me if I was going to work like this. I promised to be sober and joined the next day, constantly fighting with myself. I improved enough that I quit alcohol. Five years in the marts in different shifts and had 5 hours to sleep only! In one of the marts one day a tall guy approached me. He was dressed in white from head to toe, white hat, white coat, white pant... I asked the regular question 'how can I help you Sir?' but he wouldn't answer just keeping looking at me in a thoughtful way. Finally after what seemed an eternity he asked 'would you like to act in my movie? I am Lee. I want to Star you as the new young face of the year. So what do you say?' Lee??? The BIGGEST name of the industry!! I couldn't believe my ears. A MOVIE??
I literally forgot about the world of screens and the opportunity I sought since forever was right in front of me. 
I asked him some time to think and he gave his card to contact him the next day. 
I thought about my present life, I had bade goodbye to acting long time ago. I swayed amidst a thousand questions and then reached for the opportunity I always sought and now here I am..." , he smiled.
"The point is... never go blind folded by one thing and lose yourself, never ever run after things. What is destined for you will come to you. But if you make yourself miserable after chasing things like fame and money... that is the most pathetic way to live a life."
The audience were silent as if he had cast a spell on them until the interviewer himself broke out of enchantment and clapped. The room was full of his fans and he was satisfied. 

P.S Smoking is injurious for health. I am never fascinated by people who smoke and poison themselves to death, neither I appreciate them. I just found this dry picture and tried to associate a story with it. 


Comments

  1. Agreed 100%. Happens for anything in this world. You chase. You won't get it. Stop chasing. It will automatically come to you. That is life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a great lesson to learn - to always keep ourselves in check about what and how much we should allow ourselves to run after things.
    Very well written :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thought, puts things in perspective... How obsessed should I get with what I want to make it happen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The question we must confront time to time to keep ourselves sane I presume.

      Thanks :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts